contacts – USA
coming May 2020
+1 (703) 881-9160
contacts – FRANCE
37 rue des Volontaires
75015 PARIS – France
+ 33 1 56 58 63 00
WE CARE FOR THE MOST VULNERABLE
The Jerome Lejeune Institute offers its patients specialized medical support throughout their life thanks to a medical team including:
- Specialist physicians: geneticist, neurologist, neuro pediatrician, pediatrician, orthopedic surgeon, psychiatrist, geriatrician.
- Speech therapists, psychologist, nurse, social worker, dietician.
A consultation at the Jerome Lejeune Institution is available to patients and their families for:
- Research on a diagnosis for unexplained mental disabilities.
- Ongoing treatment (coordination between the various medical and medical-social specialities around the patient).
- Prevention of secondary handicaps (thyroid disorders, orthopedic deformities…).
- Supporting families and treatment centers.
“We hate the disease, we LOVE the patient!”
The Jerome Lejeune Consultation Video Series
A Structure Dedicated to Care
THE JEROME LEJEUNE INSTITUTE IS A STRUCTURE DEDICATED TO CARE.
Created in 1998, the Jerome Lejeune Institute welcomes more than 8,000 patients each year to its specialized medical office which has become the referral center for the French Social Security and follows thousand of cases!
- Expertise combined with humanity:
Within the Jerome Lejeune Institute Medical Office, healthcare professionals contribute their knowledge on the illnesses themselves and all aspects of the patients’ lives. The Institute welcomes families of patients suffering from various genetic disorders (trisomy 21, fragile X syndrome, cri du chat (cat’s cry) syndrome, chromosomal defects, Rett syndrome, Williams-Beuren syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Angelman syndrome, etc.) or suffering from an intellectual disability whose origins are not yet explained.
- Personalized accompaniment:
Sensitizing healthcare professionals to the problems of persons suffering from genetic and intellectual disabilities is at the heart of the activity of the Institute and its staff through the intermediary of networks such Intelli’Cure or Oncodefi. It is important to create links between the different health stakeholders which deal with patients and their families, and to generate resources that are useful for all researchers.
Research with Patients
THE JEROME LEJEUNE INSTITUTE COMBINES CARE WITH CLINICAL RESEARCH.
The Institute conducts and participates in research programs with its patients. The studies conducted at the Jérôme Lejeune Institute are aimed at enhancing our knowledge and treatment of genetic disorders and intellectual disabilities.
Clinical studies are currently underway, including:
- Down syndrome and autoimmune diseases
- Involves patients with Down syndrome ages 8 to 35
- Assessment of the efficacy of folinic acid and thyroid hormone treatment on psychomotor development.
Training for Professionals and Families
The Jerome Lejeune Institute in France offers professionals and families training courses on receiving, supporting and treating persons with a genetic intellectual disability. These courses also include pathologies associated with their genetic disorders. Accommodation for trainees is possible (courses reserved for healthcare students near the end of their studies).